Dedicated to my burning desire to get out of the rat race and stop scrabbling behind the sofa for loose change, this blog will follow my intended success in the field of writing! Join me, a 28 year old bride-to-be as I embark on the most exciting career change I hope I'll ever have...

Monday 26 July 2010

Wine for breakfast? Only at a wedding....

If there's one part of the planning of the wedding I've been especially looking forward to, it happened this weekend. Wine and food tasting at the venue, complete with chauffeurs in the form of real, responsible adults (parents).
With just under 3 months to go, we journeyed from the sunny south of England up to my home town of Manchester where, you guessed it, the skies looked thunderously grey, ready to loosen our jeans and pick the wedding breakfast meal! I knew I shouldn't have devoured the tempting crusty bread roll that lay innocently on my right .... however as a valid member of Carboholics Anonymous, it was always going to happen. Once the food started appearing and I watched the waitress narrowly miss dripping turkey gravy on my mum's skirt and wobble roast potatoes over people's drinks, I couldn't help a little flutter of nerves at the massive task of ensuring all our 90 guests would be fed and watered at the same time. Obviously, I'm sure my fears are all completely irrational, venues host weddings everyday of the week... plus I seriously doubt I'll be worrying about who got served the sugar snap peas first on the actual day.

Next came the wine, lo and behold out pops 8 glasses of red and white wine, each resting on a napkin dictating the brand and more importantly, the price. Starting with the cheapest, we passed the glasses around the table, all 7 of us taking a sip and pretending to be the wine connoisseurs we most definitely are not. For me, if I didn’t wretch or hold my nose, it was a winner. For my dad, if he could smell the sweet scent of more money wafting through the grapes, it was struck off the list. We finally settled on an extravagant white and a more reasonable red (the basis being that everyone will drink the white first and then be relatively intoxicated enough not notice!). Needless to say, not wanting to show the unlucky wine's any disrespect, my fiance and I managed to work our way through the remaining glasses...

No comments:

Post a Comment