Dedicated to my burning desire to get out of the rat race and stop scrabbling behind the sofa for loose change, this blog will follow my intended success in the field of writing! Join me, a 28 year old bride-to-be as I embark on the most exciting career change I hope I'll ever have...

Monday 2 August 2010

To believe or not to believe?

I have always been somewhat of a sceptic when it comes to the unknown. Don't get me wrong, I am terrified of the thought of paranormal activity, would run a mile if someone asked me to do a Ouiji board and have always been just a little uneasy watching Ghostbusters. But I have never been convinced that it's not a just a state of mind- we see and believe what we want to and nothing else. So when a good friend of mine told me about a pyschic who was so accurate it was hard not to keep the goosebumps at bay, I decided I would part with my hard earned cash, book a session and kill the cynic in me once and for all.
It started today with me arriving at the psychics house to be greeted by a petite blond woman with a tan to rival David Dickinson. Cascades of charm bracelets graced her frail arms and aside from the too-tight-leggings, she looked relatively harmless. She advised me I had to drink a cup of Greek coffee so she could read my coffee cup afterwards. Watching her boil the dark brown liquid in a golden minature saucepan I couldn't help but stare intently in case a little sedative went in so I wouldn't quite remember... (and also wonder if I had just stumbled in to a 2010 version of Hansel and Gretel).
Soon enough I was drinking the liquid which quite frankly, tasted like I imagine the bottom of the kittens litter tray does. Starting with the Tarot cards, I watched as she flipped them over, telling me how I was loved, how changes were on the way and how I was feeling a little stressed. I have an extremely expressive face and you certainly didn't need to be a pyschic to see I was less then impressed. Who isn't stressed? Who doesn't want to hear that changes are on the way? After all, if everything was perfect with my life why would be hankering after clues to my future? After ten minutes I was starting to think I had proved myself right and could smugly go back to work declaring fraud. When she asked me if I could see the tortoise in the remains of the coffee I'd drunk I almost choked. Then rather randomly she started asking who was the person with the initial "J". She then correctly announced my sisters name, advised me of how close we are in age and constantly kept referring to my deceased Grandma. She expressed concerns my Grandma always had about me, how she died and even described something of hers that I have. Next came my dad's name and the fact that I was a writer! (Apparently I have a Chinese Philopsher watching over me and he wants me to write a novel as it will be a success. I will obviously include this in my covering letter to future publishers... what more security could they need??!). On followed referalls to my finances (or lack of) and the notion that in a matter of time she could only refer to as "3", everything would settle down. Just under 3 months to the big day!
Trust me, this lady only ever had my first name and I refused to answer her with anything other than a "Hmmm" or an "OK".
I can't say I'm completely converted, after all, I would do anything to believe I have a Guardian Angel watching over me in the shape of a beloved grandparent. But I definitely left there with a tingle up my spine and certainly a stronger belief that we are most definitely NOT alone....

No comments:

Post a Comment