Dedicated to my burning desire to get out of the rat race and stop scrabbling behind the sofa for loose change, this blog will follow my intended success in the field of writing! Join me, a 28 year old bride-to-be as I embark on the most exciting career change I hope I'll ever have...

Sunday 8 August 2010

Count the memories, not the pennies


As a habitual worrier over financial matters, to spend £17 on one single cocktail is something I would usually have cold sweats over. But last night, to my amazement, I brazenly handed over my trusty debit card and signed off £34.00 worth of drinks as if it was my last night on earth. See, my lovely fiance had decided to treat me to a meal at the delicious Wolseley restaurant in Picadilly, London and despite my usual protests at such extravagance, last night felt different and I think I know why.


I have been listening to a record recently called "Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think" by Guy Lombardo and somehow, the words have really struck a chord deep inside me. Pretty much as depressing as the title may suggest, the song is about living life to the full and being aware it's no good regretting it when you're six feet under. I certainly don't want to be stood at the pearly gates and be thinking if I could go back and give myself one piece of advice in life it would be the exact title of the song. So, we cracked open the bottle of bubbly that had been sitting in the cupboard for months, waiting for something "champagne-worthy" to happen and toasted to...er, nothing. We got suited and booted, went for cocktails at The Ritz and pretended to the world this was completely normal. Sliding in to our seats amongst the rich and famous (Steven Spielberg was eating at the next table!), we ordered wine, delicious food and giggled with the posh ladies surrounding us. I didn't just enjoy it because it was expensive (if anything, that would usually make me detest it), I enjoyed it because I actually just did. I didn't worry about the consequences, after all, what does being a few pounds overdrawn really matter? I know I'm not irresponsible or careless with money and am still happy getting clothes from Tesco so why shouldn't I create some memories that will last far longer than my wages? We came home happy and full... and for me, I really am going to try and remember that life is for living and when I look back, I want to know I gave it a damn good shot.




Listen for yourself...













No comments:

Post a Comment